Most people enrolled in the handyman business stress that it’s impossible to do a little bit of everything and be a highly-qualified pro at all possible construction activities. As they note, it’s better to improve your skills, techniques and customer connections within a certain niche or two to grow a successful profitable business. Moreover, a trustworthy handyman should never take upon the project that has to be performed by a specifically licensed contractor.
However, there’s a number of basic skills, repairs and home improvement jobs every single handyman should be able to do at a breeze. Here’re top 20 of them. As a handyman, you’ll most likely have to face these tasks quite often throughout your operation.
- Fixing a leaky toilet or installing a new one
- Repairing a kitchen faucet
- Patching holes in drywall
- Conducting basic electricity repairs and tasks (like, spotlight installation, power socket replacement, etc.)
- Painting the walls
- Assembling furniture and securing it to the wall
- Adjusting the doors, fixing the door knobs, replacing the locks
- Hanging wallpaper
- Installing curtain rods and hanging blinds
- Hanging artwork
- Replacing a missing tile
- Repairing a window (for instance, install a new screen, replace a broken pane, winterize the frames)
- Installing TVs (hanging them on the wall)
- Caulking the seams in bathroom, kitchen, around the windows and doors
- Sanding and repainting furniture (kitchen cabinets in particular)
- Conducting an after-remodel clean-up
- Cutting trees and shrubs
- Repairing decks and patios
- Creating walkways
- Obtaining basic design skills
In addition to those, a successful handyman should also possess a few general skills like being able to make quick and effective decisions, find solutions to the most challenging projects, help the client tackle the problem before the pro is able to come to the house, provide cost reduction opportunities and being willing to learn new skills, technologies and materials to offer better services to the customers. Another important skill required for the successful business operation is to be able to promote your own services within the minimal means and develop friendly connections with the customers.
Finally, a real responsible pro has to know his limits and make sure to step back where his area of expertise ends.